If you’re a Level 2+ judge, you can certify new judges. This is a comprehensive list for the testing process.
Before you test a judge
Before you attempt testing a new Level 1 judge, make sure to read and understand the official information available about becoming a judge, and about the judge level definitions and requirements. Once you’ve done this, make sure you and the candidate fulfilled this checklist:
- The candidate read and understood the Basic Rulebook, MTR and JAR.
- The candidate judged at least two events in the previous six months (preferably with you to mentor and assess them).
- You interviewed the candidate and you believe they have the amount of knowledge needed to become a judge AND they are fit for the Judge Program (you can find interview points below).
- The candidate scored 70% or higher on the L1 exam.
- The candidate agrees to be bound by the Judge Code of Conduct.
Passing a Level 1 Practice test before the actual exam is not required, but highly recommended.
This list should give you an idea about what you should talk about with the candidate during the L1 interview, but you should use your common sense and add new topics if needed.
- Go over the exam and explain the answers the candidate got wrong, as well as answering any additional questions.
- Explain the difference between Competitive and Regular RELs, and what is expected from a L1.
- Make sure that the candidate understands that being a judge is hard work, and that learning and improving is a never-ending process.
- Ask the candidate why they want to be a judge and make sure it’s for the right reasons.
- Cover the maintenance requirements, as described on the Official Resources site.
Once you decided that the candidate is fit for the Judge Program and the Judge Program is fit for them, assuming they passed the exam, follow these steps to update his judge level. Note it is MANDATORY for the certifying judge to follow these steps:
- Help the candidate sign up to JudgeApps (if they hadn’t done so already) and approve their account.
- Enter an advancement interview on JudgeApps. Read about the exact process on the Judge Testing page in the Official Resources site. Once you do so, the candidate’s level will be updated.
- Email the relevant Regional and Country Coordinators
- Send the new judge the Level 1 Welcome Letter and the Welcome to Europe – East Letter.
- Add the judge to the Europe – East Facebook group and to any other applicable local groups or mailing lists.
- Help them upload a profile photo to JudgeApps.
- Send a welcome message to the Europe – East Facebook group and ask them to introduce themselves in the Regional JudgeApps forum.
- Introduce them to the regional blog.
- Explain the concepts of region and the existence of leadership judge roles, such as Regional and Country Coordinators.